Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Slow It Down

Time has been flying by me and I feel as though if I don't take time to slow down and analyze what I'm doing I will continue this pattern indefinitely. I graduated from college less than two weeks ago, and looking back it doesn't seem like it took that long. I did have some great times in college though; I gained some great friends, found my life partner, went on some cool art club trips, and learned a lot.

There has been a lot of confusion and indecision rolling around in my head about what I should do with my life and if I'm making mistakes, but I've finally concluded that I just need to gather all the information I can and make the choice that seems right to me. I'm going to be leaving my hometown soon and moving across the state, I feel it's time to move on and start on my own path. I've been reading several articles lately (Art of Non-Conformity, Zen-Habits, In Praise of Idleness, Walden) on simplifying life and determining my life's direction. It feels like a long slow process, but I know this is something I shouldn't rush.

I feel like modern society over complicates life and I want to find a way to keep it simple. I don't want to fall into the average "produce-consume" lifestyle. I don't want to buy a fancy new car every few years or buy every gadget that comes out. I don't want to trade the young years of my life working for a company in the hopes that one day when I'm old I'll be able to retire. I'm going to live now. In this situation I don't think delay of gratification is the best choice, I have one life to live and I'm not going to live it by selling out. I feel like a lot of people want a life of simplicity too, but I don't see much effort to change.

My goal is to be self employed and create quality artwork for wonderful people, so I can buy the things that I need to live. That's it, nothing extravagant. I know this goal is possible and I'm going for it.

I want this to be my life's motto: Life is simple.
And I am going to do everything I can to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment